Hockley - Bullwood Hall (Essex)
|There are three Wellingtonia at Bullwood Hall, two being quite tall, one being a little shorter and more rounded on top - perhaps as a result of a lightning strike. They are visible on the horizon from several places in Rayleigh (a town nearby), especially from Queens Road.
The Bullwood Estate was built on land sold in 1894 by Mr. Offin of Turrett House, Hockley and the original Bullwood Hall House is a three storey "locally listed" building (Local List SPD, adopted 2013) built at the end of the 19th century.
The estate was purchased in 1955 by the Prison Commissioners and a prison was built in the grounds whichopened as a women's borstal in the 1960's. In 2006 it re-roled to an adult male/young offender prison before closing in March 2013. In 2016 Harrow Estates plc have submitted a planning application for the site which proposes to demolish the existing prison complex of buildings, convert Bullwood Hall and build up to 60 dwellings and change the layout of access via Bullwood Hall Lane to Hockley Road.
As the site was being managed by HM Prison Services the trees were not subject to Tree Preservation Orders. It is not clear at this time which trees will be retained. A tree survey was carried out by Arbtech in November 2014 and received by Rochford District Council in Jun 2015. Among the one hundred and fifty none very diverse trees on the site, a Coast Redwood (Tag No.8) is listed as young, at 6 metres tall, and an "off site tree with no significant defects noted." The three Giant Redwood (Tag Nos. 60, 61 & 62) are listed as mature at 25, 26 and 20 metres tall, and all with "Major deadwood within crown." 61 was said to have a "Hazard beam at 12 metres and 62 is a "single stem to 12 metres which divides to be become approximately 8 condominant stems from this point." Bullwood Hall was a women's prison in 2003 and is accessed off Hockley Road.