Bayford - Bayfordbury Campus (Hertfordshire)
The same two Giant Redwoods from a different angle
young Giant Redwood
|There are two Giant Redwoods in the grounds near the mansion (now the University of Hertfordshire Bayfordbury campus). Another fine young specimen stands in the field near the Observatory. The Clinton Baker Pinetum is situated nearby, beyond a field and a couple of gates, although visits may only be made with prior appointment.
The manor of Bayford was bought in 1757 by William Baker (1705–1770), who built the mansion of Bayfordbury in 1758. Hatfield Polytechnic (later The University of Hertfordshire) acquired the house in 1967 and built the Observatory which is regarded as one of the finest teaching observatories in the country.
|Common Names and Latin Name||No.||Latitude and Longitude||OS National Grid||Elevation
|Giant Redwood |
|TL 31626 10541||204ft |
|TL 31682 10511||210ft |
|TL 31648 10570||221ft |
|Girth was measured at 1.5m from ground.|